Thursday, June 6, 2013

Fame and Riches



I’ve been pondering the notion of my books one day going viral and selling millions of copies. I’ve been pondering how my life would change and what I would do with my time if I didn’t have to work at a conventional job anymore. Of course, I would still write books, that’s a given, but what else would I do with my time? It depends on the amount of sales.

A million copies sold would allow me to live a life of ease, but if you’re talking in the multi-millions, then I would like to give a little back to society. It’s always been a dream of mine to start my own publishing company and help out authors who write books that are a bit off the mainstream, like mine. But, the reality of the twenty-first century writer is that authors don’t need publishers anymore. With Smashwords and Kindle Direct Publishing, author’s can be their own bosses and guide their own destinies.

If I became mega-wealthy I might even contribute to a college or give some money to an animal rescue or a homeless shelter. I don’t know. I guess if I go viral we’ll see what happens. Riches are good. But what about fame? What does fame allow you to do? Let’s see. It can get you a good seat at a restaurant. It can most likely get you a romp in the sack with a member of the opposite sex. But can it give you shelter and food?

Without money, fame is nothing more than an ego boost. As of this writing, I’m nearing 260,000 hits on this blog, my author’s den site has had over 245,000 hits, and my other sites combined have hits of over 600,000. That’s a lot.

But am I rich, yet? Well, if you consider being rich is not having to work at a conventional job anymore, then that’s a definite no. Having that many hits certainly makes me famous in some people’s minds, so let’s see what that fame can do for my financial writing career. It’s nice to be known, but it’s even nicer to have a little extra scratch in the bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment