Monday, December 23, 2013

Thank You, Anne Rice!



Feeling frustrated over the current bookselling market, I went on a rant last week about how so many writers are publishing books full of errors and poor plots and that they are tainting the indie book publishing revolution. I pointed out that roughly eighty percent of the indie books I sampled had grave errors and horrible stories. I vowed to never use the reference “indie” when referring to the type of writer I am. Well, I was wrong.

What changed my thoughts on the indie title? Well, a little personal online conversation with Anne Rice (Yes, the Anne Rice) gave me a new perspective. Mrs. Rice pointed out that in the inner circle of publishing that “indie” writers are a revered group. They alone are changing the face of publishing and are taking the power away from the big corporate decision makers. I was surprised to learn that many of the NY publishers and agents themselves are pondering going indie and publishing their own material, seeing a new golden gateway into the book reading scene.

Mrs. Rice also told me that:

 “I frankly admire indie authors and always have. Yes, it's a jungle out there, indie publishing, and there are people struggling to become gatekeepers, etc. and a lot of confusion. But it's an exciting revolution all right.”

She took her valuable time to help me realize that instead of becoming embattled and bitter, I must realize that it truly is a wonderful time to be a writer with a world-wide marketplace available at your fingertips. I struggled for years in the traditional publishing arena, went through a top agent and many close calls, still nothing ever moved forward or got published. Time just kept slipping passed.

Now, two years since my first published ebook and thanks to the indie publishing revolution I’ve sold thousands of copies of my nine ebooks, done interviews, and appeared on local media. None of this would have been possible before. True, the floodgates are open for anyone to become an author, but like everything else in life and art the best material will rise above the subpar. Getting discovered is the challenge all artists face, those will the unending drive to succeed will, whether labeled indie or not.

If Mrs. Rice reads this post I would like to thank her again for re-illuminating my mind to the wonder and excitement of this new publishing game. She gave me a beautiful psychological Christmas present. She told me that when she finished writing Interview with the Vampire in 1973, that she would have done anything to see it in print. She even considered self-publishing before the book was signed and history was made. Back then, self-publishing was a loathsome endeavor where failed writers turned their labors of love into family keepsakes. Mrs. Rice’s words of wisdom made me realize that indie publishing is a gift that I should be grateful to be a part of and relatively successful at. Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment