Friday, October 14, 2011

Hated Indie authors


Once again, I’ve made the cardinal sin of trying to market my books on forums and threads, and once again, a bunch of people are sending me nasty replies. Which is fine if these forums and threads had a policy of no author marketing, but they don’t. I learned early on that trying to post of those sites gets you a base of enemies real fast. But what still confuses me is the length that some people will go to, to make you feel bad for even trying to distribute your novels. I mean, why are these people so bored with their lives that they actually take the time to comment negatively? If I don’t like something I ignore it, I don’t use it as a vehicle to spew my hate and anger. Why even waste my time with it? I guess what I’m trying to say, is that if you hate the concept of the indie writer marketing and selling their own work without the help of the big publishing corporations and corporate greed, then just ignore us and move on with your lives. All we’re trying to do is provide some escapism entertainment for the world. Believe me, there are very few indie writers making anything more than beer money from their indie books. It’s about art and sharing your stories.

Thanks.

4 comments:

  1. As if writing doesn't bring out enough insecurities when thinking "is it good enough?" the entire time...ignore these fools. As you said, they can easily ignore it and move on. It takes a spiteful person to go out of their way to make others feel rubbish.

    Meanies lol.

    TToria
    xoxo
    http://ttoria.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, that's why I barely go on writing forums anymore. I tried to do the "traditional" thing and get an agent, so they would try and sell my novel to a huge publishing company, but I continually had doors slammed in my face. I turned to a small e-Publisher and after my work was reviewed by a panel of 5, she agreed to give me an eBook contract. I do all my own promotion and yes it's hard, but I have no other choice. Like you, I want my work out there, so I can entertain people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had to guess, the issue is you are inadvertently marketing to peers and not customers. Kindleboards and the KDP forums are brutal when trying to push a book. Everyone is trying so its like walking into a bar with your own beer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neil, Sorry to hear the forums and some authors are still against those of us who choose to self-publish, something I've done for more than a decade. It is strange how people react. Not long ago that is what we were getting from some professional writers groups (and some well-known authors), who put down self-publishing, and showed no respect to us. Then they suddenly came around to some degree when they realized there was money to be made...and good royalties paid, thanks to Jeff Bezos and Mark Coker. So they joined the self-publishing game. I love the freedom of self- publishing, both ebooks and POD. And then when we have such a great cover designer as Judy Bullard, can't go wrong, can we?

    I believe there are some people who don't have a life so they spend their time on the Internet putting out hate every chance they get. Sad.

    ReplyDelete