Wednesday, October 5, 2011

What price?

In earlier posts, I’ve often said that I think the 99 cent price on Kindle books seem to cheapen the worth of the book. Now, I’m not reversing that conviction completely, but what I will say is that 99 cent books appear to be selling many more copies than those books priced just a few dollars higher. Why? Let’s put it in terms of a used bookstore that has a rack of books for 99 cents and a rack of books for three dollars. As a reader, which shelf are you likely to check out first? I for one, always check out the cheaper books hoping to find a gem. And even if I don’t, I’m likely to buy a few books that merely spark my interest. After all, you can’t really go wrong with 99 cents, even if the book is terrible. So that said, I’ve caved into the common denominator and lowered the price of my Kindle books to $1.25 each. I chose that price because I wanted to set myself apart from the pack, even if it is only by twenty-six cents. All of my books have been professionally edited, formatted, and the covers are all original artwork. I think that alone is worth the extra pennies. So, if you’ve got a buck and a quarter to spare, check out my stuff, it’ll be the most entertainment value around.

2 comments:

  1. I used to think the same; the lower price of a book that has been self-published will lower its reputation, but it isn't like that at all. If you have an ebook out for £1.99 and the one above it and below it is £0.99, I should imagine they will sell first. I think I'd rather sell 10 books at 99p (or 99c) that only 2 or 3 books at £1.99 - at least then your book is reaching a wider audience.

    CJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing wrong with a 99¢ book. I think a lot of people associate more sales with more money. Right now I would rather sell 3 books at $2.99 than 10 at 99¢. I want $6.20 over $3.50. When I have more to offer people than one book, that's when I will play with going for number of sales to attract more readers and fans.

    If you only have one or two books. I see that like the XBox and PlayStations where they sell them at a loss because they make it up with their game library. What good does giving it away do you, if you don't have a library?

    ReplyDelete