Saturday, January 5, 2013

Magical idea drawer



With my marketing efforts underway and my books uploaded on all the major writer’s sites, I am about ready to start my quest to write three novellas in the next year. I’m leaning toward the Dystopian genre, with a little sci-fi fantasy thrown in. I’m going to try and do a series, building on the plot book after book. I do have a few ideas that have been swimming around in my head for a few years and I recently pulled the “ideas” file from my cabinet. This file was thick with scraps of paper on which I’d written plots and story ideas of the last two decades. As I slowly read through each scrap I suddenly realized that I’ve already subconsciously incorporated most of these ideas into existing novels. In these notes, I saw the birth of IMAGINATION and DROP OUT and several others and realized I couldn’t repeat these ideas. As I filled my wastebasket with stales concepts, I suddenly came upon something fresh. An idea I’d penned on a beverage napkin about six years ago. The idea intrigued me. I sat for a few moments re-reading the two sentence tagline over and over, and then the small, haphazardly written summary of the plot. It was as if a curtain opened in my mind revealing a full stage of characters and plot twists. I could immediately foresee the future of these characters and how they would grow through the series. I could picture myself writing frantically through this winter as the temperature falls and the ground freezes solid. I realized right then, I have my next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment