Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Goodbye paperbacks


Nook just unveiled its new tablet today. Watching the interview on CBS this morning with the president of the company he was asked if he thought traditional paperback books will disappear in thirty years. Although, he wouldn’t give a definitive answer (because Barnes and Noble still have over 600 bookstores nationwide) it was apparent that he thought so. Though Barnes and Noble have outlived most retail book outlets, I do believe those days are numbered. Getting into the ebook revolution by designing the new Nook is a wise idea when Amazon is clearly taking over the market. And with the Kindle App, you don’t even need to own a Kindle to buy from the electronic store and read a book. As I’ve watched my book sales on Amazon rise steadily each month, I’ve also watched my Nook and Kobo sales stagnate. It could simply be the popularity of the Kindle and ease of the Kindle store that feeds my sales or it could be that I haven’t put nearly the effort into selling to Nook and Kobo through Smashwords. It’s my own ignorance that keeps this market low on my priorities. I simply don’t know much about the Nook and its store. That’s all about to change. I’m dedicating the month of October to getting myself setup on the Nook sites and their boards. Though I was loyal to Amazon when I was in their Select program, it’s time to branch out and spread my promotional efforts around the globe. Look out Nook, here I come!
 

 

2 comments:

  1. They will not completely disappear I think..I love them and I buy them. Sure there will be less and less of them but they will be at least as Vinyls are for music fans. There are people who buy them still. I do think paperbacks will be more popular a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the thought of books disappearing, so I'm going to ignore that part of your post.

    I wonder whether the Kindle/Nook/Kobo choices are similar to the Betamax/VHS wars of the 80s - only one will win... and we all have a feeling we know which one!

    ReplyDelete