Monday, September 24, 2012

Writing the end


After almost eleven months of continuous, daily writing I finally wrote ‘The End” on IMAGINATION. Well, I don’t actually write those words since it’s not industry standard anymore, but I did write the final, conclusive last sentence of the novel. Ah, what a feeling! This being my eleventh book, it still never ceases to amaze me how a story can take on a life of its own. If I were to look at my original notes on the concept for the story from last year and compare it to what I actually created, it would probably give a good laugh. In the original concept the main character was an alien. When you read IMAGINATION you’ll discover the humor in that. Though I’ve finished the novel, it is still a ways from hitting the marketplace. I need to give it a couple of good, thorough reads, looking for any mistakes or poor/boring sentences. When I can read it without pausing to correct, it will be ready for a professional edit. Not sure who I’m going to use at this point. Once those corrections are made it’s designing the cover time. I already have an idea of what I want it to be. Then to my formatter who will set it up for the marketplace. Then what? Well, to be honest, I usually feel a little depressed and disconnected after finishing a book when I’m not sure what my next book will be. Sometimes the idea for a novel won’t come for months after I finish the last one. I usually wander around in a semi-fog desperate for an idea that will keep me interested for at least the year it usually takes me to write a book. Sure, I’ll market and promote my other works and concentrate on IMAGINATION, but that still leaves hours free when I would normally be writing original stuff. I’ve tried short stories in my spare time, but I’m just not that kind of a writer. I like to develop a concept or idea fully and that usually takes me at least 50,000 words to achieve. Sometimes writing ‘The End” can almost be as scary as writing that first sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment