Friday, September 28, 2012

It’s hard


No, mind my isn’t in the gutter right now, I’m talking about how hard it is to sell books. I’ve been writing since I learned how to hold a pencil, I’ve won contests, had a top NY agent, and have written and/or published a dozen novels. People ask me where my ideas come from and I can’t give them an answer. All I know is that ideas for stories DO come and the urge to capture them on paper is overwhelming. I’ve been known to jot down notes on whatever I can find, tiny pieces of scrap paper, toilet paper, even my own skin. Writing has always come easily and naturally to me and I get insurmountable joy sitting in front of my computer and living in and creating worlds inside my own mind. Some people say there’s nothing better than reading a good book on a rainy or snowy day. There is one thing I can think of that’s better: writing one. So why have I titled this post It’s Hard? Because trying to make a living as a writer is a completely different animal than just being a writer. Marketing and promotion is tedious and grueling, but necessary of course. The best piece of advice I ever got as a young writer was a very successful author telling me that making it in this field was incredibly hard and takes years of commitment and devotion and that most people give up or fail to achieve any level of success. But that’s okay. Because if it were easy than everyone would be rich and famous. And that ain’t the case.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment