Monday, February 3, 2014

Changing content



Thank you for following my blog. In the nearly three years that ALWAYS WRITING has been active, I’ve seen my following grow and my hit counter exceed 250,000. I’ve tried to provide valuable writing and publishing advice based on my own trials, tribulations, and mistakes when marketing my work.

My original intention when starting this blog was to relate what it was like trying to succeed as an independent (indie) author. Three years ago my posts were about my personal journey and what material I was currently working on. However, in browsing over the past year’s content, I believe I am losing my way.

Instead of posting about MY own life as a writer, I see my posts becoming more content marketing than actual grassroots advice. I am a member of more than one hundred online writer’s groups and forums and I’ve been unconsciously gearing my posts to a mass market instead of the core audience and fans who follow (what’s supposed to be) personal insight into my writing life. So… I’ve decided to change the content of this blog and reverse course.

Instead of the once or twice a week content marketing post that I’ve been writing, I’ve decided to post nearly daily about the REAL writing life. I plan on opening my soul to my followers and talk about the up’s and down’s, the depression and elation, the successes and failures of being a real, independent writer in today’s publishing environment. I understand that I may lose a few followers or that some readers may be turned off on days when the struggle for success seems fruitless and I may be angry that my sales aren’t what I’d hope. Some might find it boring to read about my next novel-in-progress, or how hard it is some days to ignite my imagination, or what promotion made one of my books an Amazon best seller.

I feel it is important to put this blog back to what I had intended it to be, not just so others can relate to me and maybe gain encouragement in this evolving publishing universe and world marketplace, but to keep my own sanity and realize I am not alone in my endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment