Wednesday, April 6, 2011

KINDLE SAVE ME FROM THE DARK, LONELY ABYSS THAT IS WRITING

So, I’ve decide to publish my first totally electronic book. Now, I know that many of you are old hands at this, but for me this is something new. See, up until recently I was staunchly opposed to e-books and what they have done to the publishing industry. After all, how could I accept this change? I spent most of the last two decades painfully querying agents and publishers and then sending out the requested partials and occasional manuscript. Thousands of hours spent in libraries scanning the LMP (for those of you that don’t know the LMP or Literary Marketplace was the bible for authors trying to find an agent), standing in line at the post office, and buying ink cartridges for my printer. Twenty years of marketing myself and my books just to get a shot at the big time. Fortunately, for me it paid off.

Sort of.

I did get a major NY agent with a good reputation for selling and a track record that gave me butterflies. I got the phone calls that publishers were interested in my books, and I even got close to an actual offer… but then IT happened. The electronic revolution. I’m not saying the internet and all its wonders aren’t great, I’m just saying it killed my writing career. Or did it?

Since leaving my agent I decided to self-publish my own stuff and market it myself. I’ve gone the POD route and been happily satisfied with the results and even had a fair amount of sales. And then KINDLE came along and changed the game yet again. Now authors have the opportunity to publish and sell their own stuff through the KINDLE store. But that’s not the best part. You can set your own price and keep a huge percentage of the royalties. Now, I’m not going to go into the Amanda Hocking rant of selling tens of thousands of copies through KINDLE and nothing less will satisfy me… but… nothing less will satisfy me.

Just kidding.

So, what I’m getting at is that I am going to blog about my experience putting together an e-book for KINDLE from scratch. Maybe this will help someone out there make an informed decision of which publishing route to follow, I don’t know. If you’d like to read about this process of my putting the book together from scratch and then promo and marketing it you can follow at:

My blog: http://neilostroff.blogspot.com

My website at: http://www.Neilostroff.com

Or follow me at Twitter: @Neilostroff

I’ve decided to publish my tween paranormal AFTER. Stay tuned.

-- Description:

There is continuing existence after death and seventeen-year-old Nick just entered the afterlife. It’s nothing like he’d ever imagined. Things are sorted and structured and incoming souls are placed on various Realmlevels according to how they lived by the Rules of the Source while mortal. There’s only one problem. Someone erased all record of Nick’s human experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment